Mar 02, 2021
COM-1010 Foundations of Communication
Communication theory and practice focusing on interpersonal, small group, and public speaking skills.
Humanities general education class.
Formerly (Formerly SPH-1010 . Students may not receive credit for both SPH-1010 and COM-1010.)
- Explain concepts of, types of, and misconceptions about communication
- Differentiate between an individual’s view of oneself (Self-Concept), an individual’s view of the world (Perception), and an individual’s public image (Identity Management)
- Identify the impact Culture has on Communication (In-Group Out-Group, High Context and Low Context, Cultural Values and Norms)
- Distinguish verbal and nonverbal communication skills in a variety of communication settings
- Explain the importance of listening, types of listening, and the listening process
- Differentiate Interpersonal Communication in a variety of settings (Personal Relationships, Online, and Workplace)
- Assess message development and organizational skills in public speaking
- Execute a basic informative speech on the arts
- Execute a basic persuasive speech
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)