The Small Business Management Certificate is designed to prepare students to own, operate, and successfully manage small businesses. Students are given the opportunity to develop a business plan that includes provisions for financing, site selection, marketing, budgeting, record keeping, physical facilities, incorporation, insurance, inventory control, and franchising. Individuals who wish to continue their education may apply the credits earned in the certificate toward the Business Management Associate of Applied Science degree.
Graduates of the Small Business Management Certificate will be able to:
- Prepare a comprehensive business plan using a standard business plan format
- Identify the key elements of gaining and sustaining a competitive advantage through strategic planning
- Explain the rewards and drawbacks of entrepreneurship
- Describe the issues central to small business marketing including research, promotion, advertising, and public relations
- Through a scenario-based approach, apply the functions of management to the small business enterprise
- Prepare a balance sheet and income statement and evaluate related financial ratios