Oct 15, 2018
Associate of Science | NURS.TRANS.AS | Transfer Program
Visit Center for Health Studies, Room 1402 or call 301-546-0731 for your faculty advisor
This course of study facilitates educational and career nursing mobility from the LPN level to the Nursing (RN) Associate of Science (A.S.) degree program. The LPN who holds a valid, active Maryland license or compact license and has completed all of the prerequisites for the RN Program with a grade point average of 2.5 or higher may be granted advanced placement. Upon satisfactory completion of the transition course, NUR-1060 , the student can progress to the second year of the Nursing (RN) A.S. degree program. Ten credits on top of the six course credits are awarded upon completion of NUR-1060 . The total number of credits required for graduation is 70.
Graduates of the LPN to RN Transition will be able to:
- Prescribe nursing activities within an environment which reflects ethical and legal standards of nursing practice
- Manage the patient care environment in a variety of settings with regard to factors affecting safety across the lifespan
- Evaluate the patient’s adaptation to developmental changes across the lifespan
- Evaluate the patient’s ability for self-care and initiate activities that promote optimal functioning
- Develop a therapeutic plan for patients, families/significant others with psychosocial health alterations in a variety of settings
- Evaluate the effects of culture, values, and the environment, to develop a plan of care that facilitates coping of patients/family members/significant others
- Evaluate therapeutic nursing interventions to reduce risks of patients’ health alteration within a variety of settings
- Collaborate with member of the health care team to modify the plan of care and promote optimal physiologic function for patients within a variety of settings
General Education Courses
The list of general education courses appears in the General Education List . Some programs recommend or require specific courses to fulfill general education requirements. Please check your program’s sequence of study for this information.
One credit of elective
Sequence of Study - LPN to RN Transition A.S.
Below are the required courses for your program arranged in a suggested sequence. Please note that the sequence does not include developmental coursework. See Academic Preparation for the developmental course sequence if applicable to you.
Program Total: 70 Credits
1 Refer to Course Descriptions , for eligibility requirements for BIO-2050 .
2 This course is a co-requisite to the Nursing Program requirements
Asterisk (*) denotes a general education course.
Credit earned at any public institution in the state shall be transferable to any other institution if the:
- Credit is from a college or university parallel course or program;
- Grades in the block of courses transferred average 2.00 or higher; and
- Acceptance of the credit is consistent with the policies of the receiving institution governing students following the same program. Refer to ARTSYS at artweb.usmd.edu and the receiving institution’s catalog to select transferable courses.