Dec 11, 2018
Associate of Arts | COMM.MASS.AA | Transfer Program
Visit Center for Health Studies, Room 2408 or call 301-546-0926 for your faculty advisor
The Mass Communication Concentration prepares students for career positions in film, television, video, radio, and other digital and mass media industries. Most students who complete this program transfer to four-year colleges and universities to earn a bachelor’s degree in one of a wide range of communications and media programs. Students should be acquainted with the program requirements of their desired transfer institution when making course selections. Students should consult with academic advisors and mass communication faculty for transfer opportunities.
Graduates of the Mass Communication Concentration will be able to:
- Think critically about how mass media influence society
- Communicate effectively using visual, written, spoken, and non-verbal methods
- Understand how the various fields in mass communication are structured and function
- Have an understanding of how technologies associated with mass communication are used
General Education Courses (31 Credits)
The list of general education courses appears in the General Education List . Some programs recommend or require specific courses to fulfill general education requirements. Please check your program’s sequence of study for this information.
Area of Concentration (29 Credits)
General Electives (4 Credits)
Sequence of Study - Mass Communication Concentration A.A.
Below are the required courses for your program arranged in a suggested sequence. Please note that the sequence does not include developmental coursework. See Academic Preparation for the developmental course sequence if applicable to you.
- General Education Social Sciences course other than History 3 Credits (Social Science) *
- 2000-level General Education Humanities course other than Speech 3 Credits (Humanities) *
- SPH-1130 Interviewing 3 Credits (Program Requirement)
- SPH-2230 Intercultural Communication 3 Credits (Program Requirement)
- TRF-2330 Television Production II 3 Credits (Program Requirement)
- 1-credit course (if necessary to reach a minimum of 60 credits) 1 Credit (Program Requirement)
Program Total: 60 Credits
Asterisk (*) denotes a general education course.
Credit earned at any public institution in the state shall be transferable to any other institution if the:
- Credit is from a college or university parallel course or program;
- Grades in the block of courses transferred average 2.00 or higher; and
- Acceptance of the credit is consistent with the policies of the receiving institution governing students following the same program. Refer to ARTSYS at artweb.usmd.edu and the receiving institution’s catalog to select transferable courses.