ACC-2230 Individual Income Tax Preparation-VITA
This course involves basic and intermediate income tax returns for both federal and local taxes. This course consists of classroom training where students learn individual income tax preparation. Students complete the VITA proficiency examination at the end of the classroom training period in order to gain required certification. Successful students participate as tax preparers at the Prince George’s Community College Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site during the spring tax season. This service learning course begins the first week of January and continues through the close of tax season in April. Students must successfully complete the IRS volunteer tax preparer certification test in order to participate in VITA and successfully complete this course.
Prerequisite(s): Reading readiness
1. Recognize the purpose, structure and administration of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program and the benefits of providing volunteer service to a diverse clientele.
2. Determine the proper federal and state tax forms to be used by the individual taxpayer.
3. Apply the basic rules and requirements for reportable income, exclusions, allowable deductions and the utilization of available tax credits.
4. Demonstrate professional and ethical behavior at all times while assisting a client.
5. Use professional interviewing skills to efficiently and effectively obtain the required information for preparation of complete and accurate tax returns.
6. Prepare a tax return (manual and electronic), including follow-up activities to support record keeping.
7. Research tax questions within the scope of the VITA program.
8. Apply quality review procedures for tax return preparation.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)