Mar 23, 2023
BIO-1020 General Plant Biology
University-parallel introductory plant biology course. Topics covered will include but are not limited to plant classification, structure, function, and growth and development. Practical application of plant use in our daily life will also be presented.
Prerequisite(s): Reading Readiness
3 class/3 lab hours.
- Identify plant biology disciplines and career options.
- Explain nomenclature and taxonomy as it relates to plants.
- Describe the major physiological and cellular processes of plants.
- Discuss the relationships between plant physiological and cellular processes as applied to plant choice and planting technique.
- Discuss the relationships between plant organs and the major physiological and cellular processes.
- Demonstrate proper use of the general tools typical of a plant biology course.
- Apply the basics principles of chemistry to soil science as they relate to best practices for plant growth.
- Apply genetic principles to current issues in sustainable agriculture.
- Employ the scientific method to solve problems.
- Apply knowledge of the workings of each plant system explored to the course objectives.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)