MUS-1010 Music Appreciation
Music appreciation is an introductory course to history of Western music from the Middle Ages to the 20th Century and beyond.
Students will explore music’s various functionalities in order to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for all types of music by examining basic music literacy and core musical elements such as melody, rhythm, harmony, form, and texture.
Humanities general education class.
1. Describe the elements, forms, and styles of music recognized through listening.
2. Identify the timbre of different musical instruments.
3. Explain the use of different musical instruments in different contexts.
4. Compare and contrast music from different periods by analyzing their characteristics.
5. Describe how popular contemporary music relates to the classical repertoire.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)