TED-2750 Field Work in Early Childhood Education
This course is designed to provide the student with “real life” experiences in a center for young children or an elementary school’s prekindergarten through third grade classroom. Students will complete 6 hours per week (2 days per week, each for a 3-hour block of teaching time, for a total of 45 hours) at a college-assigned field work site. This experience will take place under the guidance of both an experienced on-site teacher and a college instructor. Students will also complete weekly course work and attend on-campus meetings. The focus of this capstone course is on the development of the necessary teaching skills to maintain an effective learning environment. These skills include: Lesson planning; implementation and reflection; pedagogy; curriculum planning and assessment; classroom management; and effective communication with other professionals, students, and families.
Capstone Course: Students must have completed a minimum of 45 credit hours, including all required prerequisites, prior to enrolling in this course. A cumulative GPA of 2.00 is also required.
Prerequisite(s): TED 2350; 45 credits and 2.0 GPA (Capstone course)
Formerly (ECE 2620)
- Demonstrate effective developmentally appropriate practices for the specific age group and setting.
- Develop appropriate lesson plans and/or unit plans for all subject areas taught.
- Demonstrate appropriate teaching strategies and techniques which reflect knowledge of curriculum, developmentally appropriate practices, and individual learning modalities.
- Explain effective classroom management practices and how they apply to specific classroom settings.
- Reflect upon the lesson planning, implementation and assessment process to modify future lessons and teaching behaviors.
- Select the appropriate assessment format for measuring students’ outcomes for each learning outcome.
- Discuss the skills needed for professional interactions with education professionals and parents/families
- Design a teaching portfolio to highlight and reflect upon the growth of the student and their teaching knowledge and skills throughout their time in the Early Childhood Education program.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)