This certificate prepares students for employment in hospitals, physicians’ offices, and other health care settings as medical coders, abstractors, and medical billers of clinical patient information using the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) as modified for use in the United States and the HCPCS/CPT coding systems. In addition, students will learn about other related classification systems, clinical documentation requirements, prospective payment systems, e.g., diagnosis related groups (DRGs), reimbursement strategies, and the processing of medical claims. The program incorporates classroom instruction and a practicum covering a wide variety of medical specialties in both ambulatory and inpatient care.
Graduates are eligible to apply to take one of three national certifying examinations administered by the American Health Information Management Association to become a certified coding associate, certified coding specialist, or certified coding specialist-physician and the national certifying examinations administered by the American Academy of Professional Coders.
Graduates of the Medical Coder/Billing Specialist Certificate will be able to:
- Apply policies and procedures surrounding issues of access and disclosure of protected health information
- Apply legal concepts and principles to the practice of health information management (HIM)
- Protect electronic health information through the application of confidentiality, privacy, security measures, policies, and procedures for internal and external use
- Analyze the documentation in the health record to ensure it supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient’s progress, clinical findings, and discharge status
- Apply diagnosis/procedure codes according to current guidelines
- Analyze current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems
Program Total: 38 Credits
1 Refer to Course Descriptions , for eligibility requirements for BIO-2050 .
2 It is highly recommended that students complete HIM-1530 prior to entering the Medical Coder/Billing Specialist Program.