Feb 26, 2024
This 20-credit certificate is for students who want to have additional proficiency in working with children with special needs. This certificate does not meet the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) requirements for teacher certification. All courses transfer into the Early Childhood Education A.A.S. degree and some courses are also applicable to the Early Childhood Education A.A.T. degree program. Completion of this program results in an academic certificate. Students wishing to obtain a professional certification must pass an examination with an authorized certifying body.
Students in this program are required to submit to a medical and criminal background check in order to participate in the required fieldwork courses. More information about the procedure, cost, timeline, etc. can be obtained through the Education Department Advisor.
Participation in the required fieldwork courses is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the medical and criminal background check. If a student is denied a fieldwork placement (which is required to complete the program) due to a medical and/or background check result, the student will meet with his or her advisor to discuss options, which could include dropping the course and changing program of study.
Graduates of the Early Childhood Special Education Certificate will be able to:
- Apply child development and learning theories when choosing developmentally appropriate practices and curriculum for specific and groups of children.
- Write effective and developmentally appropriate lesson plans.
- Differentiate lessons and activities for a variety of purposes and groups of children.
- Discuss the skills necessary to effectively communicate with families and the community.
- Discuss the skills needed to be an effective part of an educational team.
- Plan, implement, assess and evaluate student learning outcomes for a variety of purposes.
- Apply multicultural principles and strategies to the planning, instruction, pedagogical, and assessment processes in a classroom.
- Demonstrate the dispositions and behaviors consistent with professional practice and ethical standards as outlined in the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), the Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (InTASC), and other current professional standards.
Note: All TED courses must be passed with a grade of C or higher.
Sequence of Study - Early Childhood Special Education Certificate
Below are the required courses for your program arranged in a suggested sequence. Please note that the sequence does not include developmental coursework. See Academic Preparation for the developmental course sequence if applicable to you.
Required Courses (in expected order)
Program Total: 23 Credits