ARB-1000 Arabic for Beginners
ARB 1000 is a course designed for students who are true beginners without any background knowledge of Arabic (classical or colloquial). It focuses on the four skills: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Students will learn Modern Standard Arabic, which is the language used for reading and writing Arabic today. Students will learn grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary, reading, and writing of the Arabic alphabet. Some conversational Arabic and cultural topics will be included.
3 class/1 lab hour or equivalent.
1. Differentiate vocabulary items in Arabic aurally.
2. State vocabulary items in Arabic with intelligible pronunciation.
3. Initiate simple statements by using basic vocabulary and sentence patterns in Arabic.
4. Utilize basic vocabulary and sentence patterns in Arabic to reply to simple statements.
5. Read simple sentences in beginning Arabic for comprehension.
6. Recall some fundamentals of Arabic grammar.
7. Apply basic knowledge of Arabic grammar to write simple sentences with harakat, the Arabic voweling system.
8. Utilize some fundamental colloquial phrases in Arabic.
9. Identify the various Arabic-speaking cultures in the Middle East.
Add to Portfolio