Jan 26, 2020
NUR-2010 Nursing Care of Children and Families
This course is designed to prepare students to meet the health care needs of children and their families from infancy through adolescence. Physiologic and psychosocial adaptation, safety and infection control, prevention and early detection of illness, and health promotion and maintenance will be emphasized. Pharmacological concepts will be integrated throughout the course. Clinical experiences will be provided in a variety of supervised health care settings, clinical simulation environment, and community sites.
Prerequisite(s): NUR-1020 , NUR-1030 , NUR-1040 , NUR-1050 , NUR-1060 , NUR-1070 .
Corequisite(s): NUR-2020 .
1.5 class/5 clinical (for nine weeks)/1.5 lab hours.
(Not offered summer.)
- Prioritize findings of physical assessment, developmental assessment, health surveillance, and developmentally appropriate communication techniques when caring for children and their families.
- Analyze the effect of family-centered care, patient safety concepts and atraumatic care on pediatric patients and their families.
- Evaluate application of the nursing process and developmental theories of Erick Erickson, Jean Piaget, and Lawrence Kohlberg to the management of nursing care for the child and family.
- Formulate an appropriate plan of care to meet the needs for children and their families with diverse psychosocial, physical, and cultural backgrounds in a variety of settings.
- Establish priorities in pediatric nursing care of children with acute and chronic health issues.
- Analyze social, economic, and political influences that can impact health and care provided to children and their families.
- Implement pediatric nursing care based on knowledge of acute and chronic medical and surgical conditions including GI, respiratory, cardiac, GU, endocrine, and musculoskeletal conditions.
- Incorporate spirituality into the care of the pediatric patient and their families.
- Collaborate with members of the health care team in meeting the health and educational needs of children and their family.
[Add to Portfolio]