Jul 21, 2019
Associate of Science | NURS.PMD.RN.TRANS.AS | Transfer Program
Visit center for health studies, room 1402 or call 301-546-0731 for your faculty advisor
Paramedics who wish to obtain licensure as a registered nurse should select this petitioner program for admission to the college. This course of study facilitates educational and career nursing mobility from a paramedic to the Nursing (RN) Associate of Science (A.S.) degree program. The paramedic must have three years of employment as a paramedic and hold a valid, active Maryland license as a paramedic and National Board of Registry Certification (NREMT). (Students must be graduates of an accredited program.) Upon satisfactory completion of the transition course, NUR 1070 , the student can progress to the second year of the Nursing (RN) A.S. degree program. Eight additional credits are awarded to the student upon completion of NUR 1070 , for a total of 16 credits accumulated. The total number of credits required for graduation is 70.
Graduates of the Paramedic to RN Transition Option will be able to:
- Prescribe nursing activities within an environment which reflects ethical and legal standards of nursing practice
- Manage the patient care environment in a variety of settings with regard to factors affecting safety across the lifespan
- Evaluate the patient’s adaptation to developmental changes across the lifespan
- Evaluate the patient’s ability for self-care and initiate activities that promote optimal functioning
- Develop a therapeutic plan for patients, families/significant others with psychosocial health alterations in a variety of settings
- Evaluate the effects of culture, values, and the environment, to develop a plan of care that facilitates coping of patients/ family members/significant others
- Evaluate therapeutic nursing interventions to reduce risks of patients’ health alteration within a variety of settings
- Collaborate with member of the health care team to modify the plan of care and promote optimal physiologic function for patients within a variety of settings
General Education Courses
The list of general education courses appears in General Education List . Some programs recommend or require specific courses to fulfill general education requirements. Please check your program’s sequence of study for this information.
One credit of elective
Credit earned at any public institution in the state shall be transferable to any other institution if the:
- Credit is from a college or university parallel course or program;
- Grades in the block of courses transferred average 2.00 or higher; and
- Acceptance of the credit is consistent with the policies of the receiving institution governing students following the same program. Refer to ARTSYS at artweb.usmd.edu and the receiving institution’s catalog to select transferable courses.
Sequence of Study - Paramedic to RN Transition Option A.S.
Below are the required courses for your program arranged in a suggested sequence. Please note that the sequence does not include developmental coursework. See Academic Preparation for the developmental course sequence if applicable to you.
3rd Semester, Summer only
Program Total: 70 Credits
1 Refer to Course Descriptions , for eligibility requirements for BIO-2050
2 This course is a co-requisite to the Nursing Program requirements
Asterisk (*) denotes a general education course.