This chapter provides a descriptive listing of each program of study offered at Prince George’s Community College. Each program of study or curriculum is a series of courses designed to assist students in reaching academic, transfer, technical, or professional goals. Programs of study are classified as either career programs or transfer programs.
Career programs provide the technical skills necessary for employment and career advancement within a particular area of study. These programs are not designed specifically to transfer as the first two years of university study for a bachelor’s degree. However, credits earned in a career program may be transferable into some degree programs at four-year colleges or universities. Students should consult an advisor to determine which courses may transfer.
Career degrees include the following:
- Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.): a career, technical, or professional degree designed for career advancement. Each A.A.S. degree at Prince George’s Community College includes a required culminating experience (capstone and/or work-based learning course), which is a learning opportunity designed for students to synthesize skills and knowledge acquired in previous courses and to gain experience in their career or technical area of study.
- Certificate (Cert.): record of completion of a program of study with fewer than 60 credits.
- Letter of Recognition (LOR): record of completion of a limited number of concentration courses in a discipline.
Note: Credits earned for a certificate or letter of recognition are applicable to a related associate degree.
Transfer programs are designed specifically to parallel the first two years of bachelor’s degree study and to transfer easily to a four-year college or university.
Transfer degrees include the following:
- Associate of Arts (A.A.)
- Associate of Arts in Teaching (A.A.T.)
- Associate of Science (A.S.)
Programs which show “pending MHEC approval” were not yet approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission for the award of a degree at the time this catalog was published.